Kohnen-Station is a German summer-only polar research station in the Antarctic, able to accommodate up to 20 people. It is named after the geophysicist Heinz Kohnen (1938–1997), who was for a long time the head of logistics at the Alfred Wegener Institute.
The station opened on January 11, 2001, in Dronning Maud Land. The station is located at 75°00’S, 00°04’E, and 2892 m above sea level. It is located 757 km southeast of Neumayer-Station III, which lies on the Ekstrom Ice Shelf and provides logistics and administration for Kohnen-Station. Like the United Kingdom’s Halley V station, the base is built on steel legs allowing the station to be jacked up as the height of the snow surface increases.
The station contains a radio room, a mess room, a kitchen, bathrooms, two bedrooms, a snow melter, a store, a workshop, and a power plant (100 kW). It is supplied by a convoy of 6 towing vehicles, which carry up to 20 tons each, and 17 sledges. The base is resupplied twice each year, with up to 6 sledge trains at a time. This traverse takes 9–14 days.
Kohnen station is the logistic base for the ice coring project in Dronning Maud Land, the European Project for Ice Coring in Antarctica (EPICA). A core was also drilled at Kohnen station.